Mathieu is a researcher and professor of sociology at Université Catholique de Louvain (UCL). He teaches urban sociology, theories of power and qualitative research methods, among other things. His researches deal, on one hand, with the theories of democratic public spaces and political participation, and on the other, with the social aspects of city planning and urban policies in Europe and the US.
Mathieu will start in 2018 a fieldwork research on the ERDF Brussels project « CASTII » (Center for Arts, Sciences, Technologies, Innovation and Inclusion) led by the associations IMAL (Center for Arts, Sciences, Technologies, Innovation and Inclusion) and based in Molenbeek. His research will focus on the interactions between CASTII professionals and the local users, through an ethnography of various activities of e-inclusion organized by IMAL and LES. This fieldwork on cultural/artistic/technological mediation in poor urban areas will complete a broader inquiry on various fields and modes of citizen participation
Topics: Urban Inclusion, Urban Ecology
Tel: +32 (0) 473 80 43 68
To know more about Mathieu's contribution in the framework of Metrolab:
- Launching ARCH (Action-Research Collective for Hospitality)
- Mathieu Berger with Benoit Moritz at Perspective.brussels to present "inclusive enclaves"
- Visiting period at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Cycle of Lectures "Cities in shock"
- MasterClass working group’s scientific mission in the United States
- Atelier d'été "L'Espace de l'écologie humaine: De Chicago à Bruxelles"
- Séminaire de recherche et cycle de conférences: "Ville et politique: approches cognitives"
- Evening Lectures "In/Out: designing urban inclusion"
- Benoît Moritz and Mathieu Berger at The New School
- MLB presented at the Graduate Institue for Design, Ethnography and Social Thought (GIDEST)
- Metrolab launch seminar
- Evening Lecture "Urban research what for?"